Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tex Asian BBQ Tofu

Tex Asian BBQ Tofu
  • 1 block tofu diced
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup arrowroot
  • 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
  • 1 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1/4 cup scallions chopped
  • enough oil to fry tofu
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl mix flour, arrowroot, and a pinch of salt. Toss tofu with flour mixture being careful not to break up tofu. Let sit for 5 minutes and give it another toss. Add oil to frying pan and carefully place tofu in the pan. Once tofu is golden brown remove from pan and place on oven sheet pan. Bake tofu for 20 minutes or until crispy. Mix BBQ, teriyaki, scallion, salt, and pepper. Remove tofu from oven and drain excess oil. Toss with sauce mixture. Even those who do not like tofu will love this recipe. I like to make it with jasmine rice and grilled asparagus. Try it and let me know what you think.

16 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Is there a reason you use arrowroot? Do you like it better than cornstarch? I'm just curious because I always use cornstarch, but your sauce looks particularly thick (which is just how I like it) and clings so beautifully to the tofu.

glamah16 said...

Ha were kind of on the same page.At least with the theme. I actually like tofu and will giving this a whirl.

Anonymous said...

This looks great. I have the same question as Susan about the arrowroot. I've never used it before. Any particular reason why you picked it over cornstarch?

Anonymous said...

This looks great. I have the same question as Susan about the arrowroot. I've never used it before. Any particular reason why you picked it over cornstarch?

Anonymous said...

I luv tofu..this one looks so yummy.

Btw, we stir fry arrowroots or we slice them thin and have it deep fried into thin crisp chips. Tastes better than potatoe chips.

Jan said...

That looks very yummy! I have never cooked with tofu before but I bought some the other day and can't wait to try this recipe!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks great! Could I cheat and use fried tofu and just do the sauce?

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Great looking tofu. I bet it taste better than it looks.

Chef Paula

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Nice work with this one! I'm not much of a tofu person, but you might have me with this one. It looks really good

Breadpitt said...

the toufu looks really good, i love toufu....

Kajal@aapplemint said...

ooh this tofu looks divine !

Simply...Gluten-free said...

OK, that has to be the best looking tofu I have ever seen!

Jescel said...

hmmmn... interesting... will add to my "must-try" list..

Meghan said...

oh god this makes tofu look amazing!

im such a novice at tofu... i think i might try this one!

Beatrice said...

It looks beautiful. I've never cooked tofu using a 3 step process, but I'm going to have to try it. I assume you use firm tofu?

whollyhealthy said...

i made this for dinner last night and it was wonderful. couldn't find the arrowroot so i used 1/2c cornstarch...the tofu was lovely and crispy on the outside, great contrast in texture...the sauce was tangy and a bit spicy and yummy. even my meat and potatoes loving husband loved it! thanks, erik!